Friday, October 5, 2007

Autumn








I really love fall--I think it is probably my most favorite season. and I am loving having my deck and balcony...I have embarked on a new hobby--birdfeeding. My grandma used to love to feed the birds and watch them all through the year, but I think she mostly enjoyed them in the winter. My mom and dad also have feeders in their yard, and when we were down visiting them, it was so fun to watch them come to feed--they had some beautiful yellow finches that came by everyday. So last week, I went shopping for birdfeeders and birdseed. I have never had a place before where I could actually put up feeders and be able to see the birds, so now I have my deck with my big sliding patio doors right off my living room, and I can see my little feathered visitors from my knitting spot and from my computer desk. So far I have had a few wrens and a couple of black capped chickadees. I know I will have cardinals at some point, because I have seen a pair of cardinals around the apartment building off and on all summer. I have also had squirrels. I didn't think they could get to my feeders, but this morning one was sitting right on top of my barn feeder!! I know from searching the internet it is hard to keep them away from birdfeeders, so I thought the next best thing would be to set out a bowl of squirrel feed and peanuts for them--if I keep them happy on the ground, maybe they will leave my feeders alone. There are two that have been running and playing and eating on my deck all day. When they first saw the cats and the dog, they would run away, but they have already figured out that the cats and dog can't get to them, so now they sit right in front of the window and play and eat. It has had Roxy in a tiz all day...she is going nuts wanting to get at them. I figure it's enjoyment for Roxy and the cats as well as for myself. Anyway--the pics of the birds and the squirrels are not the greatest because I was taking them from inside my house through the sliding doors with no flash on. I really love the pic of my little black capped chickadee, and the one of the cat watching the squirrel.


On the knitting front...I am off for the weekend, have my house cleaned and my laundry done...so this weekend I am going to get all the baby stuff done for Aimee's baby shower. It is next Saturday, and I have to work 3 12 hour shifts in a row next week, and then get the house ready for out of town visitors...Aimee doesn't know it but my mom and sister-in-law are coming for the baby shower, as well as my best friend who lives in southern Minnesota--we have been friends for 20 years, and our kids all grew up together--so I will have a house full in my little one bedroom apartment!!! Anyway--this weekend is for knitting.


After the baby shower, I can start my sock for my Harvest Sock Swap 07 partner. I have the pattern picked out, but have to find the yarn...so once I get all the baby stuff done--I get to go to my favorite LYS and buy yarn--YEAH!!!!! Not like I need an excuse to go there-LOL!!! I have been collecting other goodies to send in with the sock and yarn...I'm glad she is so understanding and patient with me that I haven't started her sock yet.


That's about it for an update this week...I hope that by tomorrow night, Iwill be able to post pics of the other sweater set I am making for our little Lyllie!!!

No comments: