Sunday, May 18, 2008

Gramma has a new set of wheels!!!!

Yep--I do!!!!! Got me a new set of wheels!!! And ain't they fancy!?
I have decided that I am NOT going to pay $4.00/gallon for gas this summer, and it looks like that is where we are headed. So I did some thinking...it is only 6.5 miles to work from my house, so I am going to bike to work this summer, and start biking alot of other places that I would normally drive to. The car will be parked in the garage except for when I have to do a large grocery shopping trip, or go out of town.






Now, 6.5 miles doesn't seem bad as far as the drive to work goes, but it's all the other running around too that really adds up quick and runs out the gas tank. So this is not only about biking to work, but about making a CONSCIOUS effort to not drive this summer and fall. I will even probably bike up until the first snowfall in the winter.
Way back in my younger years, I biked everywhere...including 10 miles to work everyday. Then up until a few years ago, I did biking for pleasure--around the lakes in Minneapolis, but just gradually kind of got away from it. So it's not like I'm getting on a bike for the first time in 20 years. I think I'm still young enough to build up the stamina for it again and the exercise will sure do me alot of good. Then I won't feel so guilty about all the time I sit knitting a crocheting:)
So--I got the bike yesterday. It is a nice bike but got a good deal. The seat in the picture is no longer on the bike however...I went to day to get a more comfortable and padded seat. The seat that the bike came with was hard on the tush!!:) The bike has front and rear shocks, and overall, it is a very comfortable ride. I just rode 5 miles today in 49 minutes...not too bad for an old gramma lady!:)
as for my crocheting...I have 21 inches done on the skirt of Lyllie's Christening gown. Today I am going to work on the sleeves. I want to get them done before the skirt gets any longer just for the ease of maneuvering the gown while working on the sleeves. Will post new updated pics of the gown soon!!!




2 comments:

knittingma said...

Smart thinking with the bike purchase! I'm hoping the weather gets a bit warmer here, soon, so we can pull out our bikes and give them a test-run, as well.

Lyllie's christening gown looks gorgeous! You're doing a great job with it. Can't wait to see the finished product. Hugs. :)

monica said...

wow!!! good for you. I think a 50 minute bike ride to work would make me crazy by the time I got there. I have an hour commute to work so that would never work for me I would have to leave a day early. Plus I work night and that will never happen even if I was closer. But I agree with gas prices something has to give.

The gown is beautiful.