Saturday, April 12, 2008

My Crochet Hooks

I'm just posting a couple pics here for friends and family who have asked me about my crochet hooks. My right wrist and hand used to get very sore crocheting, and I have tried various ergonomic hooks, but they weren't comfortable, didn't feel right, and I just didn't enjoy using them...they alsodid not seem to help much with the pain and numbness I would get in my hand and fingers. So.... I made my own handles out of Sculpey Polymer Clay that you bake in the oven.
I squish the clay to get it warmed up and softened, then wrap around a metal crochet hook. Then I hold it the way that I do when I'm crocheting, and crochet a few stitches. This molds the clay to a perfect impression of my hand. Pop it in the oven at 275 degrees for 30 - 40 minutes, and I have a crochet hook handle that is custom made for me!!! With a very comfortable thumbrest.
They may not be the prettiest crochet hooks, but they are very comfortable and allow me to crochet all evening without pain.

This is a pic from the top. My thumb rests in that notch on the side. I hold my hooks like a pencil.



and this is the back side. You can see the notch in the top where my index finger rests...

1 comment:

Sondra said...

You're a GENIUS! What a GREAT IDEA! (((((HUGS))))) sandi