Sunday, April 20, 2008

Face to Face with an Angel...

Some people only get to dream of angels...I have been blessed to meet one face to face...





This is Gary, and he is my real life angel...

I took Ryder down to his Great-Great Aunt Mary and Great-Great Uncle Ken's this weekend. Ryder stayed with them earlier this year for a few weeks, and they were missing him and wanted to spend time with him, so we went for the weekend. I got some work done on Lyllie's Christening Gown while they played with Ryder.
But for me the highlight of my weekend was meeting their son, Gary. Gary began having grand mal seizures when he was around 9 months old, and Ken and Mary were told it was "normal epilepsy" that Gary would outgrow by the age of 12. Well, it wasn't normal epilepsy. He was diagnosed with a syndrome. I don't remember the name of it though. And Gary hit a point as a young child where he lost all of his skills and regressed to about the level of a 9 month old baby. But that is only on the outside...
on the inside, Gary is a very wise angel. When he looks at you, he doesn't see the outside person...I could just feel it when he looked at me...he saw into the very depths of my soul, and when I look into Gary's eyes, I know I am in the presence of an angel. Gary personifies everything that is pure and good and beautiful not only in this world, but also the beauty of heaven. I have been so very blessed to get to meet him and spend time with him this weekend. He is unable to form words with his mouth, but he speaks volumes with his heart!! When one walks into his room, you can't help but to be filled with peace and quietness in your heart. All the pressures of the world just seem to fall away.
Mary and I believe that Gary and Ryder are "kindred souls". Ryder is mezmerized with Gary. I laid Ryder up on Gary's chest, and they just stared into each others eyes. Ryder was very still and very quiet, and he is NEVER still and quiet anymore, except for when he is sleeping. there was a definite feeling of communication between the two of them.
And whenever Ryder was near Gary's room, he just stare intently into the room and look at
Gary. When Gary was out with all of us in the living room, Ryder would watch him intently, and when Ryder would make noise, Gary would lift his head and look around for him. It's hard to put into words--but there is a soul connection between the two of them.
Thank you Ken and Mary for sharing your beautiful boy with me...
and Thank you so much, Gary, for the peace and love you've brought into my heart this weekend!! I Love You Soooooooo Very Much!!!!!!!

3 comments:

monica said...

What a great weekend, and a wonderful story. So often we see the disability and not the person. Thanks so much for sharing that with us.

kathy b said...

What a beautiful grace they have. Peace to all of you. I needed that story . Thank you. Monica sent me over.

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say, Cindy is, and has been, an angel to many, many babies in her career. Not only does she give 110% to her "little charges", she goes beyond the call of duty. She has knitted tiny outfits for "preemies" who went to be with Jesus, and let their parents choose from the outfits for the babys' burial!! How special is that?!
Cindy is not only an angel, she is my precious daughter whom I love so very much!